Saturday, February 12, 2011

Music: February 3 2011: Covenant Wylder

Covenant Wylder
as his event ad put it "is reminiscent of blue-eyed soul singers of the late 60s and 70s"
strong voice

Live Music with Covenant Wylder at Le Chiantelle Live Music and Ballroom on February 3 2011
Le Chiantelle Live Music and ballroom - February 3 2011 - 31 people on the sim

From: USA: Tennessee: Nashville

Songs: Arrived roughly half-way through the show. First song I heard was dedicated to the people of Egypt. I like the songs, the voice, but as I do not recognize the songs, I cannot say how his versions work compared to the originals. Or, for that matter, if I was listening to his originals or covers. Ah, there - one of the songs had the phrase "Black Widow" and one of his originals is titled Black Widow. Which does not mean, in and of itself, that no other song has that phrase in it. heh

Schedule:

Website: http://www.myspace.com/covenantwylder (hmm, that describes his music as Chinese Pop)
Stream: http://69.162.64.66:10042

Song List:
Originals
----------
before time could fly
kodiak alaska
the end of the dream
gotta be love
moonshiner's daughter
california
let's blow this joint
musta been dreamin'
raggedy ann
when you're not here
seattle
stop the world
i got your love
waist deep in the big muddy
redneck angel
walk on by me blues
what would jesus do
ordinary world
halloween
back to nashville
god only knows
windfall
white knuckles
empty beer can
pretty good shape
used to be
million miles away
one thing for sure
born in the bush
don't wanna go it alone
hold on to me
black widow
this time
free to lose my mind
i know i will
what would it take
buster
home to the country
whiskey curtains
don't look inside
angela
down to mexico
ghost of christmas past
ghost of a chance
you'll always be the one
match made in hell
invisible man
love me or leave me
it was a woman
i heard
mama
coulda been me

gospel:
new jerusalem
the eyes of jesus
resurrection sky
all for one
the climber
walkin' with the lord

Covers:
--------
break even
smile
jumpin jack flash
ain't no sunshine
black velvet
the letter
box #10
crazy--gnarls barkley
crazy--seal
dock of the bay
i can't make you love me
sleepin on the sidewalk
roadhouse blues
the beauty of who you are
invitation to the blues
my girl
heard it thru the grapevine
the thrill is gone
drift away
home
st. james' infirmary
nobody but myself to blame--gordon vincent/buckley moonwall cover
i wanna do bad things to you
i just want to make love to you
people get ready
have a little faith in me
get back
don't dream it's over
she's always a woman
let it be
one toke
last dance with mary jane
eleanor rigby
a little help from my friends
in my life
i run to you
high and dry
something in the way she moves--james taylor
something in the way she moves--beatles
imagine
maybe i'm amazed
yellow brick road
hallelujah
second chance
gentle on my mind
sweet melissa
something
lay down sally
sympathy for the devil
she's not there
wish you were here
all my lovin'
rocky mountain suite
wyld world
eye in the sky
you've lost that lovin' feelin'
when rita leaves
lips of an angel
a beautiful mess
our house
while my guitar gently weeps
if i fell
peaceful easy feelin'
blowin' in the wind
operator
lovin' arms
tequila sunrise
paradise
i got a name
if you could read my mind
danny's song
bus stop
ghost in this house
fire on the mountain
heart of gold
old man
feel like makin' love
carolina on my mind
stuck in the middle with you
lean on me
baby now that I found you
no matter what
got to get you into my life
the night they drove old dixie down
can't buy me love
hotel california
mrs. robinson
cat's in the cradle
angel from montgomery
sam stone
don't think twice
the boxer
rocket man
your song
mainstreet
turn the page
leavin' on a jet plane
american pie
i saw her standin' there
candle in the wind
hey jude
sounds of silence
curtis lowe
every breath you take
stairway to heaven
highway to hell--hayseed/dixie version

See again? Yes
Recommend? Yes
Vague rating:
song choice:
Entertainment: 8/10
Instrument: Guitar: 8/10
Voice: 8/10
It is hard to rate voices in different genres. Some singers could have a great voice for a particular style, but if they sang something different, they would be . . . singing outside their zone. It would be and is interesting to hear a variation of a song in a different style, which is different than a singer great in one style singing in another. None of this has anything to do with this singer, but with trying to rate voices in general. The voice rating tries to be both voice in the genre I heard them sing in, and in general voice quality. Well, I take that back, somewhat. It does directly have to do with this specific singer as he has a good voice for his genre. Whichever genre that is, which, in its way, is a reminder that I'm an audience member with no advanced knowledge of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment